This ultimately comforting pud is the perfect Easter treat, especially if you’ve been left with a surfeit of Hot Cross Buns! Super easy and it makes a really impressive centrepiece dessert. The addition of Kahlua and brandy is super naughty but really makes this bread-and-butter pudding extra special!
Chocolatey Hot Cross Bread and Butter Pudding with Kahlua and BrandyCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
25g of Nutella or chocolate spread
8 hot cross buns – I used some mocha flavoured ones, but chocolate chip ones are ideal too
4 free range large eggs
600 double cream
1 ½ tsp of vanilla extract
120g caster sugar
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 140c
- Slice the hot cross buns in half, spread each half with butter, then with Nutella.
- Arrange the buns in a deep baking dish – my dish allowed for six buns, the other two I cut it into cubes to fill between the completed buns.
- Beat the sugar and eggs in a small jug then add the vanilla essence.
- Gently warm the cream and milk in a saucepan, to just below scalding but not to boiling, then remove from heat.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cream and milk and whisk until combined. Next add the Kahlua and brandy.
- Pour the creamy mixture over the buns and allow to sit for 15 mins to soak up the custard.
- Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 40 mins.
- Remove when all puffed and golden, then dust with icing sugar.
- Delicious served warm with cream or ice cream.
- The addition of Kahlua and brandy is super naughty but really makes this bread-and-butter pudding extra special!